Nonimmigrant Visas to the United States

which a person who wants to visit United States of America can apply for. In principle, there are following 2 categories of  USA Visas:

What is a Non immigrant Visa?

As per the America legal system, a non-immigrant US visa is a transient live in the USA, which means you will go to the US  for a short time frame, for motives together with business, tourism and other purposes, however will no longer stay there permanently.
Individuals who need to shift to america to live and work there, need to apply for the United States of America immigrant visa.

Non immigrant Visa Types

There are different types of  non immigrant US visa. The type of visa you need to apply for is based on the purpose of your visit, so whether you are going to visit the U.S for tourism, for studies, for business,  or others.

Following table provides the list of visa types with the purpose of visit, which determines the visa type you should apply for:

A-2 – NATO1-6 Visa

The A-2 NATO1-6 visa is for foreign army employees who are about to serve or be stationed in the United States.

B-1 Visa – Temporary – Business Visa

The B-1 visa can be issued to amateur or professional athletes, domestic employees / nannies or for business purposes such as:

  1. Attending conferences or convention
  2. Negotiate contracts
  3. Consult with associates

B-2 Visa for Tourism

B-2 visa is granted to persons for the following reasons:

  1. Tourism and vacations
  2. Medical Treatment
  3. Visit to relatives or friends in USA
  4. Short non-credit bearing courses 
  5. To Participate in music, sport, or social events

BCC Visa – Border Crossing Card

A BCC visa (Border Crossing Card Visa) applies to Mexican citizens to enter into the USA. It is a laminated card and it is valid for 10 years. A valid Mexican passport holder can apply for BCC Visa.

C Visa – Transit Visa

The C Visa is a US transit visa. The Transit Visa means that you are passing through the U.S, but your destination is other location.While passing through the US and if you are stopped for a layover to see friends, family, or visit places, you will not be allowed to do so with a C visa. 

CW-1 Visa – CNMI Work Visa

Employers from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) can apply for CW-1 visas to  employ foreign workers.The employees with CW-1 visa are known as CNMI-only transitional workers.

D Visa for crew members

The D visa is issued to the crew members to work on a sea vessel or  international airline in the United States.

E Visas – E1 Treaty Trader and E2 Treaty Investor Visas

The E visas  (E-1) and (E-2) are issued for treaties of commerce and navigation in the U.S. Following are the reasons to apply for this visa:

  1. Engage in trade of technology or other activities between the U.S and the treaty country
  2. Direct operations of a company in which you have invested amount

E-3 Visa – Work Visa for Australian nationals

E-3 visas are for Australia nationals who will be working in specialty occupations. A qualified Australia person for an E-3 visa should present marriage certificate  for the spouse.

F and M Visas for students

The F and M visas are for academic and vocational purposes. Based on the school and field of study,  the student have to get either the F-1 visa or the M-1 visa.

G1-G5 NATO Visas

A person has to get a G-1 to G-5 visa, If  he has been employed in an international organization in the United States, . 

H-1B Visa for employees in highly specialized fields

H-1B visas are for candidates,who have been employed in highly specialized occupations. They should have an advanced degree or a job.

H-1B1 Visa for Chile and Singapore nationals

H-1B1 visa  allows the nationals of Chile and Singapore to live and work temporarily in the U.S.  based on the U.S Free Trade Agreement (FTA).  H-1B1 visa holder can stay in US with the spouse and dependent children.

H-2A Visa for agricultural workers

The H-2A visa is granted to temporary agricultural workers from selected countries in whom the U.S has some type of interest.

H-2B Visa for temporary non-agricultural workers

 H-2A is issued for temporary agricultural workers and the H-2B visa is granted to temporary seasonal workers, who are non-agricultural work.

H-3 Visa for training oppotunities

H-3 visa is issued for training and education opportunities which are not counted towards an academic degree.

I Visa for Journalists

The I visa is for foreign media and journalists who belongs to press, film, radio, or print media, who wants to visit the U.S to work or participate in educational media activities.

J Visa for exchange visitors

The J visa is targeted to exchange visitors such Au pairsTemporary Scholars,  Teachers and Professors, Students, Interns and Summer Work and Travel

L Visa – Intracompany Transferee Visa

L1 visa or intra-company transfer visa is issued if you want to transfer to US and If the company you work for has a branch in the U.S.  You must have been employed at that company for 1 year in the past 3 years.

O Visa for persons with extraordinary abilities

O1 visa is issued to the people who has an ability in Arts, Science, Business, Education, or Athletics and want to temporarily work in their field of expertise

P Visa for athletes, entertainers and artists

There are 3 types of P visas:

  1. P-1 is issued to the individual or team athletes or members of entertainment groups
  2. P-2  is for artists of entertainers who will perform in the U.S as individuals or in a group
  3. P-3 is for artists and entertainers who will perform, teach in the U.S. as individuals or in a group

Q Visa for cultural exchange Program

Q Visa is for the people who are going to visit the U.S as part of an international cultural exchange program. They will share their history, culture, and tradition in the U.S.

R Visa for temporary religious workers

R Visa is for temporary Religious Workers who want to practice within the U.S in religious capacities.

T Visa for victims of human trafficking

T visa is issued to the victims of human trafficking who suffer from severe trauma, but T visa holder can assist in investigating crimes related to human trafficking.

  1. T-1 visa is for the victims of human trafficking
  2. T-2 visa is for spouses of T-1 visa holders
  3. T-3 visa is for children of T-1 visa holders
  4. T-4 visa is for parents of T-1 visa holders
  5. T-5 visa is for unmarried siblings (under 18 years old), of T-1 visa holders who are
    under 21 years old

TN / TD Visas for Canada and Mexico citizens who work in NAFTA

TN / TD visas are for Canada or Mexico Citizen who will be working in the NAFTA organization.

V Visa for family unity

The V visa allows families to be reunited with their family in the U.S.

U Visa for crime victims

Person can apply for U Visa if he is a victim of criminal activities and that can assist in the investigation of those criminals.

A Visa – Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials

A visa is issued to diplomats or foreign government officials who wants to travel to the U.S on official duties or to represent their government such as the President or the  Prime Minister.

US Nonimmigrant Visa Application

Applicant need to fill the DS-160 form to apply for any US non immigrant visa. The DS-160 or Online Non-immigrant Visa Application form is for all types of non-immigrant visas. Applicant has to fill the form available in the Consular Electronic Application Center website in English and has to be submitted online to the Department of State. After submitting the form, you will get a DS-160 bar code page which you need to take the print and show to the U.S Embassy during the visa interview. You will need to schedule a visa interview appointment at U.S Embassy in your country.

Applicant has to pay the application fee, which is determined based on the type of non-immigrant visa. Consular Office or Visa Officer will take the decision whether to give you the visa or not based on the information entered in the DS-160 form, together with your interview.  After completing your interview at the Consulate, you will have to wait for the Embassy to process. Wait times for the non immigrant visa application can be found in the U.S Visa Department of State by entering the city where the U.S Embassy is located and it will show you approximate wait time.

US Nonimmigrant Visa Requirements

While filling the DS-160 form, you will have to submit the following 
documents based on type of visa such as:

  • Online US Visa application form.
  • Valid Passport.
  • 2 photographs as per the requirements.
  • US visa fee receipt.
  • Your Social media details
  • Candidates applying for F, J and M visas will have to complete an application in the SEVIS and enter their SEVIS ID in the DS-160 form and the name, address of the university you will be joining. SEVIS ID is found on your I-20 form or DS-2019 form.
  • Candidates applying for H-1B, H-2, H-3, CW1, L, O, P, R, visas will need to provide information from their I-129 form regarding their employment and purpose of the visit in the DS-160 form
  • Candidates applying for an E-1 or E-1 / E-2 Visa need to submit the DS-156E form completed by their employer.

Written by 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *